I’ve been thinking a lot about maintenance lately, maybe it is because I’ve been at a weight loss stand still for months, or because I’m just anxious to get to another part of this journey? I guess in a way, this weight loss stall is a form of maintenance. I’ve been bouncing around with the same 5lbs for months, which I’m told is normal for someone who is maintaining their “normal” weight. However, I haven’t reached my “normal” weight, at least I don’t think so.
I have been reading online about what constitutes maintenance and successful weight loss. On different sites, the theme is the same. People who maintain their weight:
- Keep a food diary or awareness of caloric intake
- Have a support group or system
- Are active and make fitness fun
- Focus on health and not weight loss
- They do it for themselves
- Have found healthy food substitutions
- Monitor their portion sizes
- Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks
- Know the changes are for life and not temporary
- Don’t quit and give up when they “backslide”
- Food is all about moderation and no food is “band”
- Separate self-worth from the number on the scale
The steps above are something that I try my darnedest with, although the last on “separating self-worth from the scale” has been really, really hard, but I’m working on it.
This weeks weigh-in --- a 2 lb gain; however, I didn’t let it get me down. I am doing this for myself and I have a great support group with my Weight Watchers friends. These changes are for life and I know I’ll eventually be where I want weight and health wise.